Don’t worry If you haven’t soaked your dry fruits in the alcohol for your traditional Christmas Fruitcake weeks ahead. Try this “Last Minute Easy Christmas Fruit Cake” recipe. I promise you will like this cake as much as you love your traditional Christmas cake.
- 2½ cups mixed dried fruit
- ½ cup soft brown sugar
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup butter at room temperature
- 2 tsp Orange zest
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 tbsp Rum/ Brandy
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 3 Eggs
- 1 ½ cup plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup chopped Almonds
- 2 tsp Cake spice mix
Cake spice mix recipe:
- 2 tiny barks of cinnamon
- ¼ tsp mace
- 8-10 allspice
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 5-6 cloves
- ¼ tsp dried ginger
- Grease a 23 cm or 9 inch round pan with the butter and line the base and side with a parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, place mixed dry fruit, both types of sugar, water, butter, orange zest, lemon zest, spices, over medium heat bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture comes up to the room the temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 180-degree Celsius in convection or 160- degree Celsius on fan force mode.
- When the fruit mixture is almost cool, add vanilla essence and Rum.
- Lightly beat the eggs and add to the fruit mixture.
- Add chopped almonds, and give a mix.
- Sieve the flour, baking soda, and salt together and add to the mixture and stir until well combined.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared pan and make sure to spread it evenly.
- Bake it for 40- 50 minutes, then remove from oven and cover the hot cake tightly with foil, so that your cake will be moist.
1) Each oven is different. So when you bake the cake, bake for 35-40 minutes and check the centre part. If it is uncooked, then bake for another 10 minutes or until it cooked. 2) If the top portion of the cake is already cooked but not the centre, then cover the cake top with a foil and continue to bake. This process will help to protect the cake top from burning!