Deemer Jhol (Bengali style spicy Egg curry/stew) – This delectable no fuss recipe comes together easily for a simple, yet beautiful meal.
There is not a more adaptable ingredient to always have on hand in the refrigerator than eggs. If you have hard boiled eggs in your refrigerator, you always have the components of a satisfying meal. Check out the video to get a perfect hard boiled egg every single time.
Are you at beginning of your culinary journey? looking for a super easy, yet delicious curry recipe that is sure to impress? Then I sure do believe this is one of that recipe you want to give a try!
Enjoy this Bengali Dimer Jhol recipe on the bed of rice.
Serves: 4-8 (depending on how many eggs you want to serve per serving)
- 8 hard boiled eggs,
- 2-3 potatoes cut in quarters
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 ½ tbsp. ginger paste
- 1 tbsp. garlic paste
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 tsp extra hot red chili powder
- 2 tomatoes chopped (approx. 1 cup)
- 3-4 green chilies
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ¼ Sugar
- ¼ cup mustard oil
For flavoring the Oil:
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Cloves
- ¼ stick cinnamon
- 3 green cardamoms
- ½ Tsp cumin seeds
- The first step, let’s make the hard boiled eggs:
- Put the eggs in a sauce pan and cover them with cool water.
- Bring the water to a boil over medium heat,
- When the water has reached a boil, remove from heat, let sit for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the egg to a colander, place under cool water.
- Crack and de-shell the eggs. then with a help of a knife make a couple of slits on the eggs.
- Place the potatoes on a microwave safe plate, and let it microwave for 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, mix together Kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt, add the eggs and potatoes.
- In a small bowl, add our all ground spices, then add a little bit of water, using a spoon make a smooth paste.
- Add oil in a preheated pan, when the oil is nice and hot, add eggs and fry for a couple of minutes. Remove from oil.
- Add potatoes, and over medium high heat cook just for 2 minutes, then remove from oil.
- Add bay leaf, green cardamom, cloves, cumin seeds to the remaining oil, and give a stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add, sliced onion, sprinkle salt and sugar, over medium heat fry till it develops the golden colour.
- Add ginger paste, garlic paste, give a mix and cook to cook till the raw smell of the ginger garlic has gone.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, and cook till the tomatoes are softened,
- Time to add the spice mixture to the onion mixture, add a little bit of water, continue cooking till the oil is released from the mixture.
- Our sauce base or gravy is almost ready. Now time to adding back the eggs and potatoes to the cooking pan, mix the eggs and potatoes with the sauce, cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add about 2 cups of warm water, increase the heat to high, let it come to a boil,
- Sprinkle garam masala, add green chilies, reduce the heat to medium, let it simmer for 3-4 minutes. Then turn off the heat. let it sit for 5 minutes.
Now time to serve on the bed of rice.
Recipe by: Shyamali Sinha