Bhoger Khichuri is the synonym of Durga Pujor Asthamir Bhog. The combination of Gobindo bhog Rice, roasted Moong Dal, and spices, taste divine
- ½ cup Gobindo Bhog/ Kalee Jeera rice cleaned and washed
- ½ cup Moong dal
- ¼ cup Peas
- 1 tbsp Ginger paste
- ½ tsp Panch Phoron
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 dry Red chillies
- 2 small Bay leaves
- 6 Green cardamom
- 4 Cloves
- ½ stick Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Cumin powder
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder( you can ad little extra if required)
- 1 tsp Red chili powder( you can adjust the taste according to your choice)
- 8 Green chillies slit
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Mustard oil
- 2 tsp Ghee(optional)
- 6-7 cups of water
- Toss the Moong Dal in a dry skillet, continue stirring and tossing over medium low heat until they began to smell nutty and toasty, then wash and drain the Dal or Lentils.
- Fill your cooking pot or stock pot with about 5 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Add the roasted Dal, give a stir and let the water comes to a boil again.
- As the Dal bubbling up, you will see the scums floating on the top, clean the scums with a ladle and add rice, give a stir and let the mixture comes to a boil again.
- Sprinkle salt, turmeric powder, half of the green chillies, give a stir to mix everything well and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover with a lid and let it cook until the mixture half way cooked through.
- Add cumin powder and red chilli powder, mix them well and continue cooking.
- On the other stove, in a small preheated cooking pan or Tadka pan heat up oil.
- Make sure the oil is nice and hot, add all Bay Leaves and dry red chilies, give a stir and add other whole spices one after another, reduce the heat and stir for a couple of seconds until the oil fragrant.
- Add ginger paste, a little bit of salt, peas, sugar, cook everything for a couple of seconds, till the raw smell of the ginger paste removed.
- Add the Phoron/ Tadka to the Khichuri, add remaining green chillies, 2 cups of warm water and ghee.
- Mix everything well, switch the heat to high and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn off the heat, cover with a lid and serve hot.