Machher Kalia or Bengali Fish curry recipe or FisKalia recipe is a Bengali delicacy. It mainly cooks with Rahu/Rui fish. Here in Melbourne, we also prepare this dish with freshwater fish like Trout. It also tastes delicious with fish like Mullet, Milkfish, Salmon. The speciality of this recipe is its gravy with yoghurt and lots of aromatic spices.
- 250 gm of carp fish like Rohu (4 pcs. approx.)
- 4 tbsp. of cooking oil (I use mustard oil)
- ¼ tsp. ghee (clarified butter)
- Salt to taste
- 4 tsp. onion paste
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1 Tbsp. plain curd
- 4-5 broken cashew
- 5-6 raisin
- ¼ tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 big /4 small bay leaves
- 4 cloves
- 3 green cardamom
- 1 small dry red chilli
- 1 tiny stick of cinnamon stick
- Marinate the fish with some salt and turmeric powder. Keep aside for a few minutes.
- Beat the curd until smooth. Add salt, add all the powdered spices, the ginger paste and a little bit of water and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan heat the oil and over a high flame-fry each side of the fish for 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from oil.
- In the same oil add all the tempering ingredients and stir for a few seconds, to incorporate their fragrance into the oil.
- Add the onion paste and cook over medium heat, until the onion changes its colour.
- Add the spice mixture and cook until the mixture releases oil.
- Then put back the fried pieces of fish into the same pan and coat well in the gravy.
- Add the cashews, raisins, and ghee and also the garam masala powder.
- Add water for the desired amount of gravy. (Approx. 2 cups)
- Cook 3-4 minutes further and then cover with a lid. Give the dish some standing time.
- Serve with Steamed rice or Pulao.
Prawn chilli homemade Try it yourself https://youtu.be/6mxBFTxmx98