Take your one pot weeknight dinner a whole new level with this flavourful, nutritious Spinach Mushroom rice. I don’t know about you, but sometimes my weeks are so busy or I am too tired that cooking an elaborate meal seems out of question. If you are my old friend then you know that I love prep ahead meal during weekdays. This spinach rice recipe is one of those rice dishes you can serve for simple and comforting one pot weeknight dinner with Raita, Salad or you can serve the dish for a small gathering menu with Kosha Mangsho or Chicken Kosa, chutney, and dessert. I love the recipe because it takes less than five minutes to do the prep work.
The best part of the dish is you can customize the ingredients based on your choice, such as you can add peas, corn, shredded chicken, scrambled eggs, etc.
I love this type of recipes, you can enjoy it as one pot dish or you can make the dish for an easy but enjoyable meal.
When you try this recipe, please share your feedback, and I would love to interact with you on my social media platforms – Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- 3 cups Cooked Basmati rice
- 3 cups Chopped spinach
- 1 ½ cup sliced Mushroom( I used white cup mushroom)
- 1 tbsp broken cashew ( any nuts of your choice)
- Chopped sliced Onion
- 1 tsp grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Green Chili chopped ( skip if you are cooking for kids)
- ½ tsp Dry Fenugreek leaves
- salt and sugar to taste
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- ¼ tsp Fennel seeds
- a tiny bark of a cinnamon
- 6-7 black peppercorns
- 4-5 Cloves
- In a large skillet, add oil and allow to preheat, add ghee and let it melt.
- Reduce the heat to low, add all tempering, cook for a few seconds to release the aroma from whole spices.
- Add sliced onion, sprinkle salt, cook for a few minutes, when the raw flavour has gone, add ginger and garlic. Cook for a minute.
- Add cashew, mushroom, sprinkle salt for mushroom,cook further, then add chopped green chillies.
- Add spinach, sprinkle salt again for spinach,( I love to season every layer of the dish) over high heat cook for a minute.
- Add kasuri methi, sugar, and cooked rice, over high heat cook for couple minutes, remove from heat.
- Serve with your favorite curry or raita.
Recipe by: Shyamali Sinha