This Sausage rice makes a delicious weeknight friendly one pot meal that is easy enough to cook. This dish inspired by Bengali Bhat Bhaja recipe, which is basically stir fried leftover rice with potato, onion, peanuts and flavored with whole Spices. Some recipe call for fried eggs or scrambled eggs. In this recipe, I added mild chicken sausages.
I could happily eat this Sausage rice for Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner! It is so easy and quick to do.If you want to make a vegetarian version, just omit the sausage, till it will taste delicious. If I am not too tired, I will make Cucumber Raita or Avocado raita and roasted papad for the side, else for me it is good to go it’s own.
If you are new to the world of home cooking and want start with some pleasurable dish, this is the dish for you, you can’t go wrong with this one!
Here is the recipe for my Sausage Rice. Hope you love it. If you recreate the dish tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #foodieshut.
- 3 Cups cooked Basmati rice
- 1 medium size potato cut into julienne
- 3-4 Chicken Sausages
- ½ cup sliced red onion
- 2-3 green chillies ( chopped or slit)
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Sugar ( optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp julienned Ginger
- 4 green cardamoms
- 3-4 cloves
- ¼ stick of cinnamon
- 1 dry bay leaf
- Slice the sausage lengthwise, making sure not to slice it all the way through, remove the casing and cut in 1’’thick round pieces.
- Preheat a wok or large skillet over high heat, add the oil and make sure the oil is nice and hot. Reduce the heat to low, add sausages, sprinkle salt ( if required) and over medium high heat cook for 2-3 minutes, remove from oil.
- Add all tempering to the remaining oil and stir to release the aroma from the spices,
- Add onion and potato, sprinkle salt and give a stir. Over medium heat cook until the onion is softened and potatoes are done.
- Add peanuts, green chilli, sugar, salt, ghee, rice, stir over high heat.
- Add fried sausages, garam masala, give a good mix, over high heat cook for 2-3 mins, then remove from heat, transfer to a plate and Enjoy!
Recipe by: Shyamali Sinha