Date Jaggery Scented Rice Pudding
Bengali Gurer payes or BengaliNolen / Notun Gurer payes is a signature dessert in winter months.
- 4 cups Milk (1 liter)
- ⅓ cup date jaggery
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅛ cup of kali jeera rice washed and soaked in water for 20 minutes, then drain the rice.
- ½ tsp ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- Handful of broken cashew
- Add ghee to rice and mix it.
- Transfer the Milk to a heavy duty pan, set the pan over high heat and let the milk comes up to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium -low and let the milk simmer for 4-5 mins, give 2-3 times stir to make sure that the milk does not stick to the inner bottom of the pan.
- Add rice to the milk and continue cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add sugar and jaggery, when jaggery dissolved, add cardamom powder and cashew, stir again to mix everything together and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from heat and put it in a bowl. Let it cool and serve.
Recipe by: Shyamali Sinha