Bengali Green Mango Chutney
Bengali Green Mango Chutney or Kancha Aamer Chutney - It is a summer special sweet Chutney. Easy to make and very refreshing condiment can be served with any meal.
Chutney is a common condiment or dip in Indian cuisine and other south Asian cuisines. Chutneys can be made from vegetable, fruit, herbs, chicken, fish, mutton etc. it can be sweet or savory. The best part of this dish that you can make it beforehand and store in the refrigerator for at least two weeks.
There are few common chutneys like Tomato Chutney, Mint chutney, Date chutney, Mango chutney which you can serve with any meal from Breakfast to Dinner.
Usually, Bengali chutney flavored with Bengali five spices which I have shared on my channel too, this chutney is very easy to make and flavored with mustard seeds, a must have condiment for every fridge.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 20 mins
- 2 green raw mangoes approx 250 to 300 gm, peeled, cut into cube
- 1 tbsp Mustard or vegetable oil
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2/3 cup of granulated Sugar
- 1 green chilli for seasoning
- Heat up oil in a cooking pan over medium high heat, if you are cooking in mustard oil, oil should be smoking hot.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add mustard seed, stir few seconds to crackle the seeds and fragrant.
- Add mango pieces , sprinkle salt and turmeric powder and mix everything with a ladle or spoon.
- Cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low and continue cooking until mangoes are soft.
- Add ¼ cup of water, increase the heat to medium and continue cooking for few more minutes or until water is almost evaporated.
- Add sugar to the cooked mango, give the mixture a stir and let the sugar melt.
- Add one whole green chilli in the chutney, cover the pan with a lid and remove from heat and let it cool.
Note : If you want to store the Chutney, remove the green chilli from the chutney,Green chilli is added for flavour not for heat, transfer it to a glass bowl or jar, cover with a lid and keep in the refrigerator.
You can store this chutney in the refrigerator for approx two weeks.
Recipe by: Shyamali Sinha